I follow a Norwegian blog by Hans Petter Nygård-Hansen that speaks of several things that I care about. He recently had a long entry on how the iPad would eat from the paper market share for newspapers. I mostly agree with him, but what really got me to agree was the last paragraph in the blog entry. What he wants from a mobile news app. I do heartily agree, but I have a few extra points that I would like to add. His bullet points were these: (I have translated them from Norwegian)
- Give me a digital subscription that does not cost too much, or the option to buy daily issues at a slightly higher day by day price.
- Inform me of new articles, but let me choose among my interest for reminders.
- Let me download the news article or magazine offline, I want to read it when and where I want.
- Adapt the ads to my interests, (based on what news-categories I want reminders for) for higher relevance and less irritation. (Do not forget that the goal of ads is to lead you away from what you really want to read, but if I am reading an article on travel destinations I am a lot more receptive to watching adverts for hotels, airplane travels, rental cars or other relevant offers.)
- And I want an app, not a web page optimized for mobile devices.
My additional wants are these.
- Let me easily share what I find interesting using whatever tools I like, including email, Facebook, Twitter, Blogs etc.
- Let me store my favourite images, articles or videos for later sharing, printing or revisiting.
- Create a very simple subscription registration that makes it possible for me to view the content simultaneously on my PC, iPhone or iPad.
- And please also consider this little issue on filter bubbles.
If I have I forgotten any, please tell me in the comments!